Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Chandelier Makeover


Hello Everyone! Hope you all are having a great Wednesday! I just wanted to share with you a makeover I did on my chandelier a few weeks ago.

The chandelier that came with the house was a brownish chandelier that had a hint of purple. Here is a before picture:


chandbeforeFor several years, I tried to disguise with a lot of crystals that I gently hung, and some crystal-look garland (sorry for the blurry pic, I couldn’t find a good before shot):chandduringI decided to finally take the whole thing down and paint it like it needed, and get some holes drilled into it so that the crystals would stop flying off whenever I needed to change a light bulb!


Using a titanium drill bit, I had my husband drill some holes. It was easier to cover where the holes needed to be drilled with some blue painter’s tape:


chandholeThen I spray primed it, and painted it black. The picture below shows the primer. I already had this primer from a previous project.chandpaintI then had my husband hang the chandelier in the dining room because I had no real plan of what beads to use, and I didn’t want a lightless dining room.


I had a bunch of beads I purchase a few weeks prior to this project that were half-off at Michaels.These are large jewelry beads. I also had some pre-strung crystal that I purchased about 4 years or so ago. :


chandbeadsI sat at the dining table using some jewelry wire, tested out some combinations. I wanted to bring out some of the colors in the current painting I have hanging in the dining room. I finally came up with a combination that I liked, and strung it, and came up with this:


chandafter

chandafter2





(See how I started decorating for the Fall with my dried orange Chinese lanterns above?)


chandafter3


For a bit of whimsy, I switched out the light bulbs from the “flame” shape to the round shape.chandafter4



The best thing about this project is that I can easily switch out the beads to coordinate with any changes I make with the room!

1 comment:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

How fun it looks awesome. Love the colored beads. Very creative. Hugs, Marty