Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Napa – Day One

Above is a photo I took at Pride Mountain Vineyards


For my birthday, my husband and I took a short trip to California’s wine country- the Napa Valley. Here are a few photos from our trip. We flew out late on a Thursday night and drove an hour or so to get to our hotel in Sonoma at around 1 a.m. That’s 2 a.m. Colorado time. I never stay up that late! The next morning we hit the ground running! Literally. We went running, (which we love to do together), ate breakfast, then got in our car to get to our first appointment at Pride Mountain Vineyard. We stayed away from the larger wineries, as we visited the larger ones 4 years ago. We tried to stick with the smaller wineries, where the tours were very personal.

Below is wine being poured directly from the barrel.

pridepour



Here we are inside the cave:



pridecave



Next stop was Pride’s neighbor, Barnett Vineyards. Look at the view!



barnetview



Here’s Jacqueline, our guide, retrieving the wine from the barrel:



barnetvineyard2

Barnett is known for their Rattlesnake Cabernet. There’s a reason for the name:



barnetvineyard

Finally, our next stop was our quaint bed and breakfast. The Chanric Inn, located in Calistoga. One of the Owners, Ric, is a chef, and he makes the most AMAZING breakfasts!



chanricinn
Here are a few photos of the living area inside. It was a wonderful mix of modern and vintage:

chanricliving


chanricliving2



For dinner we went to Tra Vigne. Here we are in front of the restaurant. Look at me with my big ‘ol camera bag!



rrtrack



We had made reservations for outdoor seating. The ambience was fabulous! We had the fig pizza as one of our entrees. It was the most amazing pizza we’ve ever had. I’ve never had figs before; I wish we had a fig tree...



napatravigne2





napatravigne3

Day one was packed full of picture taking, wine tasting, scenery viewing, and people meeting. Day two was just as great – more pictures to come!

2 comments:

Mary Catherine said...

I just discovered your blog. My husband and I went to Pride Mountain and Barnett on our honeymoon three years ago. They are among our favorites! I hope you enjoyed them!

LaurenFaythe said...

Thank you - we had a fabulous time. The smaller wineries give such a personalized tour-we loved it!